With this summer's calendar chock-full of exciting sporting events and your favorite "guilty pleasure" TV shows, you may be hosting your fair share of viewing parties. No matter who you're hosing or how much time you have to prepare, Hormel has got you covered! For a Friday night in with the girls, snack to impress with these delicious Hormel Black Label bacon wrapped risotto bites, featuring red wine and Gruyere cheese.
Here is what you will need:
- 12 strips HORMEL® BLACK LABEL® Bacon, chopped
- 1 whole onion, diced
- 1 cup arborio rice
- ½ cup red wine
- 4 cups chicken stock
- ⅓ cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- ¼ cup dried shiitake mushrooms, diced
- ½ cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 whole egg
- ½ cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- Uncooked bacon to wrap risotto bites
- Oil for frying
- Roughly chop bacon into ½-inch pieces, par-cook in large pot to render fat.
- Remove bacon to plate and retain reserved fat.
- Add onions and saute in bacon fat.
- Add arborio rice, toasting for 2 min.
- Add red wine to deglaze pot and continue stirring until absorbed.
- Begin adding in chicken stock and stirring, ½ cup at a time, until all liquid is absorbed. Continue until all 4 cups have been added.
- Add par-cooked bacon, sun-dried tomatoes, shiitake mushrooms and Romano cheese and stir to combine. Set aside to cool.
- Mix one whole egg into risotto mixture and refrigerate overnight. Form small ball of Gruyere cheese and cover with risotto mixture.
- Wrap the risotto in a full strip of uncooked bacon, securing at each end with toothpicks.
- Deep fry at 375°F for approximately 3-4 min.
- Allow to cool, slice in half and serve.
These bites were so amazing. And I do have to admit I impressed a few other mouths as well! ;)
Is this a recipe you would try? What types of parties are you hosting this summer?
You can check out my previous Hormel posts and recipes here, here, here, here, here, here, here, & here.
*I am currently a member of the Hormel Foods Extended Blogger Program and this post is part of my involvement in the Group. While Hormel Foods provides me material and necessary resources to complete various activities, all statements and sentiment in Stilettos and Diaper Bags are my own.